I’ve often said that I believe writers are on the front lines of the intense battle for the hearts and minds of men and women, boys and girls. And I’m often reminded of what Jim Watkins said to me years ago (not an exact quote): “You can’t get hundreds of people together excited about writing for the Lord and have the devil say, ‘Isn’t that nice.’”
Scripture confirms that we are in a battle:
For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. (Eph. 6:12 NLT)
The Message paraphrases this in sobering words:
This is no afternoon athletic contest that we’ll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels. (Eph.6:12 MSG)
It is critical, as Ephesians 6 goes on to say, that we put on the whole armor of God and that we pray.
Prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other’s spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out. And don’t forget to pray for me. Pray that I’ll know what to say and have the courage to say it at the right time. (Eph. 6:18-19 MSG)
In response to the counsel of MK (the missionary who has talked about her ministry to victims of human trafficking at the past several conferences), Charles Patricoff who will be keynoting in Colorado on “Strategic and Tactical Prayer” (click here for his blog), and staff member and prayer warrior Laura Shaffer (click here for her powerful Daily Bible Prayer blog), I plan to share specific prayer concerns weekly. I hope you’ll enlist in the prayer team by clicking “Follow Blog via Email” in the top right hand column.
- Pray for the almost 3,000 recipients of the brochure for the Colorado conference, asking God to encourage them to seek His will for their writing and to not give up if they are feeling discouraged.
- Pray for those who feel God is calling them to register, but financially don’t see how they can afford the cost, to trust Him to provide. Father, please give them the courage to ask for help from their family, friends, and church and expand the conference scholarship fund.
- Pray for me as I juggle the details for both conferences that seem overwhelming. Father, You know I often question my ability, but I choose to give you my availability. Please help me to keep my eyes on Jesus and not fall victim to the deadly Ds of doubt and discouragement.
- Pray I will be keenly aware of Father’s leading as I finalize the faculty and workshops for the Philly conference and begin work on the brochure and website.
- Pray God’s Ephesians 3:20 blessings on Barb Haley, our extraordinary registrar and appointments coordinator for both conferences.